This is probably as far as I'll get tonight...
G is for Charlotte Gainsbourg - "The Songs That We Sing"
The daughter of British actress and singer Jane Birkin and French actor and singer Serge Gainsbourg keeps these professional traditions alive by working as both actress and singer herself. Though she's apparently questioning the validity of her work as a singer with this song maybe? Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I need the songs that you and so many other sing because they do mean something... they mean everything. What am I blogging about here otherwise?
G is for Gene - "Sleep Well Tonight"
Ever since the demise of The Smiths, the British Music Press has lauded various bands over the years with the title of "the next Smiths", but I thought Gene could've taken that title and run with it. I'm still quite fond of their sound and their albums. I was 19 when this hit and this was a good point in music for me. There were new bands showing up so fast on the scene in England that at times I was buying up to ten music magazines a month to keep up with it all. I think the thing that would have really made this music great would have been knowing anyone else that were into these bands at all. C'est la vie...
G is for The Gentle Waves - "Falling From Grace"
I saw a Barnes & Noble for the first time in my life in 2001 when I flew back to PA for a visit home. I went in super excited that I was going to find all the cool stuff I could never find anywhere else around here. What I bought was a CD by The Gentle Waves, which was a side project by Isobel Campbell from Belle And Sebastian. I spent both Air Canada flights back to Halifax listening to nothing but the entire Swansong for You album over and over.
G is for Great Big Sea - "Lukey"
One of the greatest joys I had about living in Maritime Canada was the Celtic flavour of the place, and New Foundland's Great Big Sea are one of the biggest acts in Canada to embrace Celtic music in their sound. I saw them play in 2000 in Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and their show was so lively and intense! It was like an old time kitchen ceilidh but in an arena with thousands of people. In fact, his video is from a collaboration album The Chieftains recorded called "Fire in the Kitchen", where Paddy Moloney and the gang from Dublin came over and accompanied on songs with numerous Maritime bands.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
Distraction... Video Alphabet "G"
Labels:
Charlotte Gainsbourg,
G is for...,
Gene,
Gentle Waves,
Great Big Sea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
As much as I love Charlotte Gainsbourg's album, after watching live footage, I have questioned her validity as a singer, as well. This video of her and Neil Hannon(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6avElVXUog) is just painful to watch. I don't know if it was an off-night or if she just fairs better in the studio with lots of gadgets to clean up the vocals and make her sound louder. Or maybe I'm just being an ass. I don't know.
I think your critique isn't far off after seeing her live footage. I was just thinking this same thing two weeks ago about Zooey Deschanel. As much as I feel she possesses a lovely singing voice, she doesn't seem particularly comfortable on stage in many of the live clips I have seen.
They are both talented actresses but maybe the feeling of being in front of an audience versus being in front of a camera is an adjustment. I don't know... I have no personal experience of my own to make that assessment.
Post a Comment