Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Appreciation... Adrian Tomine's cover for The New Yorker


Last night, I picked up the New Yorker at Barnes & Noble because I love the cover Adrian Tomine did for the new issue. I'm all about supporting brick and mortar stores, especially since I manage one. I'm not an internet shopper... I require at least some human interaction when I wish to shop and the instant gratification of leaving a store with an item I want, even if I had to special order it from the store itself.

Everybody's different though... just my own preference here...

In addition to that swell cover, I enjoyed this Summer Fiction Issue quite a bit. My favourite features being the previously unpublished Vladimir Nabokov short story, "Natasha", and critic, Sasha Frere-Jones' write up about Auto-Tune and how it has transformed what we are hear today in pop music vocals versus the reality of a singer's natural vocal quality.

4 comments:

Sphere of Repugnance said...

Agreed. Oh, and art imitates life:

Behold, the possible origin of this cover.

From the article:
The 169-year-old Book Room survived wars and the Great Depression, but couldn't outlast the vagaries of today's retail and economic realities.

"The market reality is really changing," said owner Charles Burchell, who described how a book was delivered to his store by mistake around Christmas time. The Book Room sits on the bottom of an apartment building; an online order was made by a tenant upstairs.

"The book was on our shelf, so they could have come down in two minutes and picked the book up, but they chose to order by computer and wait five [to] seven days for it to come in," Burchell told CBC Radio."


Feh.

Jojo said...

Thanks for expanding on this for me, S.o.R.! There's an article in this issue about Buckminster Fuller I'll have to show you. I believe we were talking about him a few months ago.

Jojo said...

This story about The Book Room is especially sad for me, because I've been in that store! Last thing I bought from them was a book called, They Drew Fire: Combat Artists of World War II.

I'm sad to hear they're gone.

Sphere of Repugnance said...

R. Buckminster Fuller was a fascinating man. The Dymaxion Car, the geodesic dome, etc. I found his book I Seem To Be A Verb when I was in my early teens and it made me think about things much differently than I had previously. An interesting guy... Google around and read up on him.