Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fascination & a lot of Anticipation... New Album from The Cure On Its Way!

Tonight I've been busy previewing all the available tracks that have surfaced so far from the upcoming Cure album, and I have to say I am very, very excited for this release! The Cure are the very first band I ever saw in concert when I was 13 years old, and 20 years later I am still very much a fan. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live on three different occasions on three different tours and they're still my favourite band to see live. They play forever during a show, and I've rarely not heard songs I wanted to hear -which considering how much material they have is just amazing!

With all the new bands out all the time, I sometimes forget the eternal artists that make up my music collection. The Cure are a solid section of the foundation of my own musical appreciation and sensibilities though, so there's no way my heart ever strays too far from them.

This is a video for one of the new singles with a title I completely resemble...

"Sleep When I'm Dead"



And in no particular order some videos of some of my favourite Cure songs live:

"A Strange Day" from Orange, France and the video of the same title, Orange, a video I obsessively watched over and over when I was a kid. The guitar solo after the second verse still makes me giddy!



"Charlotte Sometimes" - also from that 1984 show in Orange, France



"A Night Like This" Live 2005



"Catch" Live at the Santa Barbara Bowl May 29, 2008



"A Letter to Elise" from their MTV Unplugged performance!



"Pictures of You" from an encore during a 1990 show in Leipzig, Germany.

3 comments:

Linnen said...

I just downloaded "Sleep" and "Down Under" (the B-side) as I was writing my blog post for today. I've been buying each single off itunes as they get released and it certainly sounds like this will be the best album they have released since "Wish." I'm really psyched for it.

We saw them in Philly last month and they still rock! The new tracks held up well against the old classics and Bob may not be as fat as he was three years ago.

2008 is going to be a good year to be a Cure fan!!

Linnen said...

PS. Why haven't they release "Cure in Orange" on DVD yet?? It's such a great concert and an important part of my teenaged years, but my video cassette is wasting away with each play....

I even have a framed movie poster for it down in my Irish Pub which confuses almost everyone who stops in.

Con said...

it will be such a sad day if robert smith ever goes bald...but he'll still be a badass, so i suppose it really won't matter.