Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Appreciation... Sad Songs

Here's some classics I'd have to include on my life's soundtrack to accompany those not so good moments. Strangely though, I don't always find sad songs to be depressing. There's also something reaffirming in a lot of these tracks. Sadness is key to appreciating happiness, right? So I guess if you can see sadness as just part of the picture, you hold some sway over it. The problem is when sadness becomes the picture, all of the picture, the only picture you see... then you need to start looking for answers, you need to start looking for help.

Badly Drawn Boy - "Promises" This one killed to listen to there for a time for obvious reasons.



Lloyd Cole - "No Blue Skies" A classic... thrown this one on a number of mix tapes over the years.



David Gray - "This Year's Love" I think this song is particularly sad to me because it makes me dwell on love, the lack of love,or the hope for love in association with time. It leaves me with this sense of how easily we attach hope to a mere calendar change, "this year is going to be different... find love, find happiness, etc.", and how we hope for time in the sense of things that will carry on in our lives. It's tremendously hard to live one's life without the sense of something being constant, some positive that is eternal.



The Verve - "The Drugs Don't Work" From that title it's easy to think of this song in the sense of recreational drugs not doing the trick just when one needs them, but I see it in the sense of medication, vital medication not working for someone who's life depends on it.



Damien Rice - "Blower's Daughter" I went with a video here that didn't include clips from the movie, Closer, because that a film I would just as soon put out of my mind these days.



Damien Rice - "Cannonball" If ever you're in need of an an artist who excels in writing songs of pain and such severe sorrow, Damien Rice is your guy.



Travis - "Humpty Dumpty Love Song" This song just really cuts to the core of me. Who hasn't felt that broken and beyond repair in life at some point in their lives?



Trash Can Sinatras - "Got Carried Away" This song has been like a theme song to me at times in my life. My heart's been guilty of such action on too many occasions.



The Divine Comedy - "Commuter Love" ...not exactly a video, but I love this song, so this will have to do. I know too well about daydreams of a proper stranger, love unrequited and forever undisclosed.



The Smiths - "Asleep" A sad classic... years of junior high nights were spent crying into my pillow to this one, or was that last Saturday night? No, seriously... The Smiths still strike a number of chords in me today, but like so many of their fans, I really needed them when I was younger. All the same though, I am also very thankful for them now. I'm closing this post with this track.

No comments: