Friday, April 1, 2016

"There's Always Music in the Air"

When I started this blog years ago, one of the biggest focuses I had at the time was music, and this passion certainly remains. So in order to get back on track a bit, I thought I could start with a little bit of music catch-up, because a lot of new sounds have entered my life in the last two years!


It's hard to even decide where to begin, so I'll simply pick a song by an artist I'm really enjoying these days. That artist is songwriter and producer, Gabrielle Smith, and her recording project as Eskimeaux. Smith adopted this moniker in 2007, when she began creating experimental and noise albums. In the years that followed, her music transformed into a more refined sound with an increasing focus on structured songwriting. This shift is especially evident on her last album, "O.K." which she describes as "beat-driven and poetic bedroom pop." Eskimeaux is also one of the founding members of The Epoch, a Brooklyn-based songwriting and art collective. This is the single "Broken Necks" from her 2015 album, "O.K.", and she's set to have a brand new EP, "Year of the Rabbit" available on April 15, 2016.

This is a great song for this time of year as "The birds are singing louder and the days are getting longer..." but it's a springtime song that carries a tinge of sadness too.

No comments: