When we are born our parents and our place in this society provide us an identity, and we are each groomed to understand what we need to play this role. But not all of us can take this part and make it work for us. There's problems with the script, we act out and push the boundaries of the role, conflicts arise with other members of the cast, or we have a disagreement with wardrobe. But that's the stuff of good drama, right? That's the stuff that makes people sit up in their chairs and pay attention! It's what makes us rethink what we've been told about everyone's role in this production we call "Life." I know I like to think I have tried to push the script since the beginning, but the truth is I have only ever been so brave.
But what was my role? Was it really so bad? Well, no... but yes! But what can I do about it? I didn't ask for this role, you just gave me this part:
- Firstborn son of a married heterosexual couple
- Two siblings, a brother and a sister
- Attendance at a local Protestant church
- Grew up in a rural farming community
- Limited exposure to life outside the "traditional white American experience"
It would take twenty-three years to find the courage to sit down with a friend and tell her that inside I feel like a woman. So here I was in 2015, after years of learning a term called "transgender", after years of learning about options for medically transitioning, after countless nights spent reading others' accounts of all they did to try to be who everyone thought they should be and the courage they found to finally be who they really are... after all of that, all of these years, I have decided to finally be that person too.
I began coming out in May of last year, and on June 2nd, I had my first appointment with a gender therapist. I can genuinely say that I got so much out of this experience of therapy. It was reaffirming to my perception of my identity. We worked through the years of inner turmoil of internalising this struggle, and I was able to develop a way out of the corner I had painted myself into by developing a path to transition. I have to admit I had some initial misgivings about therapy, but it is a state required gender confirmation process that has to be done. I couldn't even talk to a doctor to begin gender transitioning without fulfilling this requirement. But the therapy really gave me a way to understand all of the challenges and necessities I would encounter and helped me develop a better road map for my transition. As I proceeded in therapy, I also did the work each week of setting goals for myself -come out to friends, find support in the community, foster relationships with allies, make financial considerations, find a health support clinic. From guidance in how to live and function as a woman, to understanding the changes in wardrobe, makeup, as well as managing the anxiety over personal image and "passing" which is an acceptance that most trans women struggle with their entire lives. I set goals every week, like I will come out to my parents by this date, I will find health services by this time, I will go to Pride in Lancaster and Harrisburg, I will go out and buy women's clothes at this time, I will secure my letter of gender confirmation by this date, and ideally begin HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy).
I got my letter from my therapist on October 19th, and that was a very special night for me! After four and a half months of weekly therapy, I was so ready for that moment. My first doctor's appointment was the next morning at the Mazzoni Center in Philadelphia, and I don't even know how I got any sleep the night before! I had two appointments that morning. The first one was to be assessed by their on staff psychologist, and review my letter. After that initial hour, I had a small break and met with my endochrinologist for the first time! We discussed my hopes for transitioning, what I could expect from HRT and that it carries health risks too. After that, it was time to draw some blood. And that was kind of that until next month, when we would go over my labs in a follow up appointment.
That follow up came on November 18th, and I was quite pleased with the feedback on my health, especially that my natural testosterone level was already quite below low normal. I got my first HRT prescriptions for Estradiol (Estrogen) and Spironolactone, which is taken to lower the testosterone levels even further so that the estrogen can do its thing on me!
But I am here, and this is happening -my transition is not even a year old, but it's been a time I will always remember! I still have a lot to learn and so far to go in this experience, but the support and encouragement I have found so far has been so good for my heart and my sense of my self worth! I got here later in life. But again I'm here, and it's time to focus on what's ahead of me!



No comments:
Post a Comment