I keep this page rather fluffy, focused on music and such, but I am a person that cares a great deal about this country and the politics of of it. With the Clinton and Obama campaigns here in Pennsylvania yesterday, there was a lot of coverage on the news regarding their visits, so I really had politics on my mind. But when I went to visit my parents last night, I spent an unfortunate amount of time arguing with my father last night about our current administration and what I think should be the focus versus what the focus on our leaders actually is right now. It wasn't fun... politics is so hard to discuss these days. But people need to have a dialog about the state of this union because we're slipping as a nation. As a country the world used to look to why do we behave so badly? Why do we conduct ourselves as if this government's needs are all that matter? And in this government's mind, where do the needs of the people who are losing homes and bankrupting themselves trying to afford basics like health care or gas fall? These are fair questions. I am proud to see the trucker drivers in this country honking their horns this week and asking these tough questions. How long do they tolerate the road they're on? How long can you or I? If however you don't care and you think you can tolerate it, well maybe at least ask yourself how long you can afford it.
I'm not out to preach to anyone here, I'm not qualified for that. People must make up their own minds. I just want to state that I think there's nothing wrong with asking questions and disagreeing with what our government does in the world. That basic privilege is part of the rights that make us so great in the first place! So pay attention, ask questions, expect more... do this, or nothing will ever change in this country or the world for that matter.
A little Billy Bragg now... as I step down off my pedestal and let a more qualified man have his say. The song was updated from his original version but the song's already a little dated. The theme though is timeless. This whole world needs a great leap forward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment